Saturday, November 15, 2008

Crazy Days


We celebrated Halloween with aunt Jamie this year. We also went to a party at AWANA. And my Dad fixed my Suburban doors so we don't have to climb in and out like the Dukes of Hazzard. Thank You Dad!

Dad also helped us fix a fuel pump. That was an exciting experience that took Dad, Spencer, Jesse, and our friend James all day to fix. They worked diligently taking off the fuel tank and replacing the pump. Only to find out that it still didn't work, so they took it all off again and replaced another part. When they were trying to empty the fuel tank the second time. Jesse started a gasoline fire. Fortunately, Spencer has just completed part of his firefighting school, and Dad had a fire extinguisher in his trunk. So while Spencer moved the flames away from the buckets of gasoline (about 20 gallons worth in assorted buckets all over the driveway) Dad ran for the fire extinguisher. Spencer was stomping on the flames which was really cool because it lit a new little fire everywhere he stepped. So that was a lot of excitement.

Since the doors and the fuel pump were not interesting enough, our car decided to break down by the side of the freeway, too. The kids and I were on our way home from Primary Children's Hospital, when the warning lights on my dashbord started lighting up; check engine, check gauges, battery, etc. So being naive, I called my Dad to ask if this was a serious problem or if I could get away with waiting for the weekend. He incredulously asked if we were stopped, and I said, "No, is this a big problem?" Apparently I didn't listen much in High School drivers Ed. But before we got too much further, the car did die, and we were very lucky to pull over to the side of the road in a good wide spot. Dad started right up to help us, which is truly amazing, it takes him over one and a half hours to get to us, not including stopping for parts, and heavy rush hour traffic. I think Dad likes horses because all knights- in- shining- armour should have them.

Well, since it was really rather cold I was most concerned for my little ones, I started calling friends immediately. Cell phones are truly an amazing thing, but so are friends. Lori Shreeve came and picked up my kids. I stayed with the car. She ended up feeding them supper, and keeping them for about 3 hours. There are not many people in this world willing to say, "6 extra kids for supper, you bet!"

My special aunt, whom I also called when looking for a ride for the kids, was still in Salt Lake at work, so on her way home she stopped and let me sit in her car, and get warm. She also stayed with me until Dad had arrived and fixed everything. Which was wonderful of her because Uncle Gordon was at home with sick grandkids, they were both doing all they could to help us all out. She even drove me to 4 different parts stores to find one with the part in stock. The first two were already closed. The third one didn't have the part in stock, but he called his competitor and asked him if he had the part we needed. When he located the part for us, he printed the list price so that the other store would meet his lower price. The fourth store, met and beat the first price, and we were on our way back to Dad. Aunt Kathy even bought the part for me. When I grow up, I hope that I can do what she does, and help others as much as she helps me. Truly there are Angels Among Us, I think she's already earned her wings. Thanks to much sacrifice and help from others we all got through it remarkably unscathed.

The following Monday, the car wouldn't start-again. We figured out that the anti theft equiptment had lost a piece, and wouldn't allow the car to start. Jesse solved that problem quickly with dad's hints over the phone.

We are wondering if the Surburban is actually trying to make our lives more difficult. :) .

Today was also a fun day, Wesley decided to find out what happens when you light tissue paper on fire. The trash can in my bedroom flashed quickly into flames. Fortunately, it was short lived and the fire alarms are all working well.

As you can see we do remarkably well - all things considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment